Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Gearing Up

So this past weekend I purchased a pair of mittens at WalMart.  Although I have several nice pairs of gloves, I find that mittens keep my hands warmer.  Instead of separating my fingers into the small compartments of a glove and unduly stressing them to keep warm on their own, they can come together in a mitten and thrive off the heat emanating from each other. 

I wore these mittens when I walked to my Bible study on Monday night, and as I delighted in their ability to protect me from the cold, I couldn't help but think about the protective nature of proper motorcycle gear.  A helmet with visor keeps the bugs from flying into mouth, nose and eyes.  A leather jacket and chaps can protect one from the elements.  A good pair of boots can support the ankle if one ends up off road 1All in all, gear is worth its price, which is in some cases equivalent to a down payment for house.

But before I purchase make a huge dent in my back account, there is another type of gear I've been looking into: books about motorcycles.  I've found two that I'm definitely interested in: Jim Bennett's The Complete Motorcycle Book and Let's Ride: Sonny Barger's Guide to Motorcycling


After I receive them in the mail, I'll keep you updated on what I learn from them.  Until then, make sure to gear up appropriately!
 
Work Referenced

1, "How do motorcycle-specific boots really protect you?" Adventure Rider. 1 February 2012. <http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226489>.
 
Pictures Borrowed From

Amazon.com. 1 February 2012. <http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Motorcycle-Book-Consumers-Guide/dp/product-description/0816038546>.

The Beachside Resident. 1 February 2012. <http://thebeachsideresident.com/2010/04/lets-ride-sonny-bargers-guide-to-motorcycling/>.






No comments:

Post a Comment