Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Dream I Can't Suppress






Above is a picture of a gift from my mother.  I've received many presents like these over the years; one of my favorites is a motorcycle pocket watch my father bought me.  The fact that he approved and encouraged my interest in motorcycles is a comfort to me whenever I receive a reaction of horror...   

"Now why would you want to jeopardize yourself that way?"

"They are DANGEROUS."

"Death machines."

I don't deny it.  Actually, I often feel hard-pressed to argue the point.  The statistics seem stacked against me - "Between 2001 and 2008, more than 34,000 motorcyclists were killed and an estimated 1,222,000 persons were treated in a U.S. emergency department" ("Motorcycle Crash-Related Data").  The cards are generally in the opposition's favor.  But though I may appear to concede the point, I nevertheless continue to dream about leather, balance and a windowless ride.  And that is why, despite the persuasive cases presented to me by caring friends and family (and thank you all for your concern), I plan on attaining my motorcycle license this year.

I will not go about it stupidly.  The few books I've read advocate a training course.  Knowledge of motorcycles mechanics is also recommended.  And a Yoda of sorts - a master to whom I can be an apprentice - is preferred.  Not following these safety precautions could cost me my life, and really I'd rather spend it roaming the roads.  So for the months ahead, I will be researching.  I will learn the differences between four-stroke and two-stroke engines, I will gather information related to defensive driving techniques, and I will find my Mr. Miyagi who can help me to "learn how to stand before I learn how to fly."

Works Cited

"Motorcycle Crash-Related Data." CDC. 26 January 2012.
             <http://www.cdc.gov/features/dsMotorcycleSafety/>.

3 comments:

  1. I feel it is important to note that, when I wrote this post, the audience I had in mind were particularly those caring individuals who've brought the dangers of motorcycling to my attention. There have been friends and family who've been very supportive of this venture, and I thank them for their encouragement just as much as those who sought to make me more aware.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will not look back and say "I wish I had ..." That's worth a lot. Have fun! I have a couple of friends who belong to a motorcycling group in the Bangor area. They take weekend rides together and seem to have a blast!
    Darylen

    ReplyDelete